Monday, September 5, 2016

What's Happening!!!

So it has been some time since I last wrote down the happening in the Pottery Zen world. I had my first professional art show. It was a wonderful experience. I now understand that I need to step up my tent display to make it comparable  to all the professionals around me. I am looking into buying the Pro Panel art fair displays for the tent. They are versatile as well as breakdown into collapsable walls and shelves making them easier to transport. You are able to buy the display in pieces so you can start with where your budget starts and build it up from there. It seems to be the industry standard for art fairs and really allows for the mobile, stable aspect of the business. I will probably be ordering the first half of my tent display in a week. I will write more information once the product has arrived and I get it set up. I can post pictures as well so you can see what half the display looks like. 

As far as sales go for my first fair. I did ok. I have learned that having a theme will help bring my booth together and create unity for my viewers. I think by unifying my pieces and creating a pleasing display it will help my sales go up as well. When people are given less options on design/style and more options on function it seems they like being able to mix and match items. Like a cup and bowl, or pitcher and cup... etc. Plus having a wide price range from $10 or $20 up to $300 really opens your doors as a seller to all income ranges that are looking to add or start their collections of pottery. 

As an artist at this art fair I learned other new things like stepping up my lighting one more notch. I found some track lighting at Home Depot that I bought an attachment so they can be plugged in versus hardwired. They should be here on Friday which will allow me to try them out. More to come on those as well. Another learning curve was having a cooler in late August full of water and healthy snacks. The snacks at the art fair were OK, but expensive for what kind of food and how much you get. Another thing is having a fan available for air flow on 100 degree days. It really helps get you through. Extension cords, power strips, sandbags, tape, and chairs have multiples available at all times. Have a good amount of cash change for those cash buyers. Square is great, but sometimes the readers aren't great. Have multiple readers if possible. Business cards go like hot cakes so have a ton. Set up a mailing list and have a sign up sheet in your booth. 

Art fair donations... Don't be surprised if the art fair wants you to donate something for the kiddos. Have some extra things in your box that you don't mind donating!

As you can see a lot I have learned, and so much more to take in. Stay tuned for more to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment