Friday, December 4, 2015

Friday Night Out!
Tonight we went out for an art opening at the Hoffman Lachance Contemporary Gallery in Maplewood. I got a chance to see Jon Cournoyer's work in person. Recently I had the opportunity to sit at a round table discussion with him and a few other successful St. Louis artists. Jon was inspiring to talk to about the business of art, and very supportive on the journey in to finding our niche.

In his show tonight "That is Why" his work was a perfect example of design. His graphic design background really comes through in these collage pieces of art. The pieces had remnants of old books, spectacle boxes, pins, fabric, photographs, and paper. The texture, color, and rhythm of each piece had it's own story to tell. What a great evening to fill your mind with art and ideas.

Having these moments of exposure to artists and their work is always a great way to kick you in the butt, and get you working on your own pieces. So I came home at started looking for a used potters wheel to add to my tools. I have been thinking about projects and ideas in clay and I see that now is the time for me to grasp these ideas and make them reality. Now is always the time to make art! I also think taking time to keep exploring my abstract paintings could turn in to mixed-media work down the road. 

So next time you are feeling lost or un-inspired go to the next gallery opening and see what you can take with you to kick your butt back into the studio! 

Now! Go make Art! Go!


No comments:

Post a Comment